Keep It Clean, Utah
July 26, 2021
The Utah Department of Transportation needs Utahns help to curb the dangerous tide of litter on Utah’s roads by securing their loads.
Unsecured loads and debris cause 1,800 crashes per year. UDOT crews have seen an increase of litter on Utah’s roads, as time spent cleaning up litter has increased 28% in the last five years. Costs are rising as well — UDOT now spends $2.5 million per year cleaning up ladders, mattresses, appliances, and other garbage from highways and interstates.
ESSENTIAL SAFETY TIPS FOR SECURING YOUR LOAD:
- Use ropes, straps or chains. Avoid using bungee cords, twine and string
- Ropes should be used with a type of anchor – suggested knots are bowline, trucker’s hitch and double fisherman’s bend
- Close boxes, bags and containers before securing
- Cover anything loose, especially leaves and yard waste, with a tarp
- Use zip ties to secure tarps to vehicles and trailers
- Keep items below the top edge of the truck bed or trailer
- Use cargo netting only for smaller items
- Before departing, conduct a final inspection of all straps, ropes and ties to ensure everything is secure
- After traveling a short distance, stop and check to make sure nothing has loosened
Tags: Keep It Clean, Litter
UDOT crews actively clean up litter year-round. Here is a link to a heat map showing where our crews actively pick up litter.