2. Motor Carrier
  3. Motor Carrier Registration & Credentials
  4. International Registration Plan (IRP)

International Registration Plan (IRP)

UCA 41-1a-301 

Qualified registrants based in Utah who travels in another IRP state or Canadian province must display IRP license plates or obtain valid trip permits for the state or Canadian province in which they wish to operate. Registrants based in another IRP jurisdiction must have Utah on their IRP registration cab card for the correct weight or have a valid 96-hour Utah Temporary Registration. The program allows the display of the base state apportioned license plate. The base state collects the appropriate registration taxes for each state and distributes the tax to the respective state. Each IRP registrant is required to file an annual application with their base jurisdiction. The application lists the vehicles to be apportioned, the fleet mileage for each jurisdiction, and the declared gross weight for each jurisdiction. Mileage reporting is done on a fiscal year starting July 1st through June 30th. When all fees are paid, the registrant is issued a cab card, validation stickers, and registration plate for each vehicle. The cab card lists all IRP jurisdictions for which the registrant has registered and the gross weight for each jurisdiction.


  • All U.S. states except Alaska and Hawaii
  • All Canadian provinces except Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut
  • Vehicles not apportioned for Utah must have a 96-hour Temporary Registration and a Temporary Fuel Permit. 


For the purposes of licensing, a qualified motor vehicle means a motor vehicle used, designed, or maintained for transportation of persons or property and:

  • A gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds
  • A combined vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds (power unit and trailer)
  • UCA 41-1a-301(13)(b) grants an exception to vehicles under 26,000 pounds regardless of axles or registered weight.

Single vehicle when the weight exceeds 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight:

  • Is used in combination, when the weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds gross vehicle combination weight
  • Qualified motor vehicle does not include recreational vehicles


UCA 41-1a-202

The following vehicles are exempt from registering under the IRP:

  • Government-owned vehicles
  • Recreational vehicles
  • A state temporary permit or registration fee is not required from non-resident owners or operators of vehicles or combination of vehicles having a gross laden weight of 26,000 pounds or less for each single unit or combination


Utah has reciprocity agreements with Idaho regarding farm-plated vehicles hauling their own farm equipment or product. These agreements allow Utah-plated vehicles to travel in Idaho and Idaho-plated vehicles to travel into Utah without an IRP registration.


UCA 41-1a-301(12) & UCA 59-13-303

  • A Single Unit is a power unit only.
  • A Combo Unit is issued for a power unit and trailer(s) combination.


For further information:

IRP Vehicle Registration and Licensing Requirements – www.irponline.org
Utah Tax Commission (Utah based carriers) – dmv.utah.gov/motorcarriers, (801) 297-6800, or  (888) 251-9555