2. Public
  3. Damage Claims

Damage Claims

If you believe your vehicle or property was damaged by a pothole, road condition, or construction problem that UDOT could have been aware of, start here. 

Notice: Submitting a damage claim to UDOT does not infer that UDOT is accepting legal or claims-related liability in any way whatsoever. Submitted claims information is provided to UDOT for the sole purpose of UDOT evaluating the nature of the claim and routing claims through appropriate disposition channels.

Vehicle Damage

UDOT makes every effort to take care of roadway issues.

If you want to report a pothole or believe you have experienced damage to your vehicle relating to a roadway issue such as potholes, debris, etc., click here for more information.

Property Damage

Unintentional property damage, though infrequent, can result from highway construction and maintenance activities.

If you believe you have experienced damage related to your property such as to your home, fence, mailbox, etc., click here for more information.

Frequently Asked Questions

Click here to review some frequently asked questions regarding claims.

Pothole Claims

UDOT is committed to patching potholes as soon as possible.

Potholes are created when moisture seeps into the pavement, freezes, expands and then thaws, weakening the pavement. Traffic loosens it even more, and it eventually crumbles and pops out.

A flat tire or other damage caused by an unpatched pothole may not be eligible for reimbursement.

If you have sustained pothole damage to your vehicle, here are two things you need to know before submitting a claim:

  • Is the pothole on a state-owned or maintained road? The green layers on THIS MAP show all state-owned or maintained roads. Potholes on all other roads are outside UDOT’s responsibility.
  • Can you demonstrate that UDOT was aware of the pothole and did not repair it in a timely manner? Because of Utah’s climate and normal wear and tear on our roads, potholes happen, and we do our best to get to them as quickly as possible. This is why the vast majority of pothole claims are considered a routine driving hazard and may only be resolved through a comprehensive coverage auto insurance policy. In order for a claim to be approved, drivers must demonstrate UDOT was negligent in repairing the pothole.

UDOT evaluates every claim on a case-by-case basis, but most are unable to meet both of these criteria. If you feel your claim meets the criteria outlined, please complete the Online Claim Form. And if you are aware of a pothole that you think we might not know about, please report it on UDOT Click ‘n Fix.

Road Condition Claims

If you hit road debris, pull over as soon as it is safe to do so. Make sure you are in a safe spot, away from any moving vehicles. Examine yourself and your passengers for injuries, and your car for damage.

If a driver experiences damage to their vehicle, they should document the date, time, location, and take photographs.

If you encounter hazardous road debris in a travel lane, report it to 911. Otherwise, all non-hazardous roadway debris may be reported to UDOT through the Click ’n Fix site (mobile app also available) or by calling 801-887-3700.

UDOT evaluates every claim but does not reimburse for every claim that is submitted. Claims are investigated on a case by case basis. 

UDOT can only process roadway claims for incidents that happened on state owned or maintained roads. The green layers on THIS map shows all state owned or maintained roads. Potholes on all other roads are outside of UDOT’s purview.

To submit a claim for damage to your vehicle on a roadway or in a construction zone, please complete the Online Claim Form.

Property Claims

Highway construction and maintenance projects can result in unintentional damage to nearby structures. Fortunately, many of these types of claims are avoided through standardized project controls but they are not 100% preventable.

If you believe there is a condition near your property that could cause harm, or you have experienced damage to your property, please complete the Online Claim Form to submit a claim.

DO NOT SUBMIT A CLAIM TO THE STATE if the damage occurred by another entity (for example, a county or city, or private citizen or entity).

Property damage investigation may take up to six months to complete. Each investigation depends on the complexity of the issues presented in the damage claim and the availability of causation-based evidence necessary to render a decision.

Frequently Asked Questions

When can I expect a response once my claim is submitted?

Claims are processed in the order they are received. Please allow up to 4 business days for UDOT to confirm receipt and three weeks for a preliminary review response.

How do I file a damage claim?

Online Claim Form

UDOT evaluates every claim and does not reimburse for every claim that is submitted. Claims are investigated on a case by case basis.

Is there a time limit for filing a claim?

Damage claims must be submitted within one year after the injury to a person or damage to property has occurred.

How do I contact UDOT’s claims unit?

Call 801-965-4116 or email udotdamageclaim@utah.gov