2. Business
  3. Permits
  4. Encroachment Permits

Encroachment Permits

Encroachment Permits are for bonded contractors to perform any construction activity within the UDOT right-of-way.

*Create a UDOT Permit account (“New User”) if you do not already have an account.

Administrative Rule for Encroachment permits

Utah Code Section 72-7-102 prohibits digging or excavating within the state right-of-way to place, construct, or maintain any approach road, driveway, pole, pipeline, conduit, sewer, ditch, culvert, billboard advertising sign, or any other structure or object of any kind or character without first obtaining a permit. Administrative rule R930-7 establishes standards for construction and maintenance activities with the need to preserve smooth flow of traffic on the state highway system in terms of safety, capacity, and speed.

When is an encroachment permit required?

An encroachment permit is required when any construction or maintenance activity is digging or requires traffic control within the Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT) right-of-way.

Statewide Permit Interactive Map

Application Process

Encroachment Permit Guide – This guide was developed to help explain the Encroachment Permit process and may be downloaded for future reference.
  • Enter into a Statewide Utility License Agreement (SULA) if installing or maintaining utility facilities
  • Provide a detailed plan of work in a PDF format
  • Due to limited staff, if a third party inspector is required, notify the encroachment permit officer with the firm hired from the UDOT approved list.
  • Provide certified Traffic Control Plans
  • Provide a certificate of liability insurance
  • Provide a Performance and Warranty Bond
  • Provide a signed MS4 Compliance Plan
  • NOTE: Maximum permit duration is 30 days per application and fee payment
  • Pay the required fee
  • Accept the limitations of the permit
  • Application Forms