Encroachment Permits are for bonded contractors to perform any construction activity within the UDOT right-of-way.
*Create a UDOT Permit account (“New User”) if you do not already have an account.
Administrative Rule for Encroachment permits
Utah Code Section 72-7-102 prohibits digging or excavating within the state right-of-way to place, construct, or maintain any approach road, driveway, pole, pipeline, conduit, sewer, ditch, culvert, billboard advertising sign, or any other structure or object of any kind or character without first obtaining a permit. Administrative rule R930-7 establishes standards for construction and maintenance activities with the need to preserve smooth flow of traffic on the state highway system in terms of safety, capacity, and speed.
When is an encroachment permit required?
An encroachment permit is required when any construction or maintenance activity is digging or requires traffic control within the Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT) right-of-way.
Statewide Permit Interactive Map
Encroachment Permit Guide – This guide was developed to help explain the Encroachment Permit process and may be downloaded for future reference.
- Enter into a Statewide Utility License Agreement (SULA) if installing or maintaining utility facilities
- Provide a detailed plan of work in a PDF format
- Incorporate the UDOT General Notes into your plan set
- Provide certified Traffic Control Plans
- Provide a certificate of liability insurance
- Provide a Performance and Warranty Bond
- Provide a signed MS4 Compliance Plan
- Pay the required fee
- Accept the limitations of the permit
- Detailed plan of work in PDF format
- If construction is for an approved Conditional Access Permit (CAP), provide the CAP letter and the watermarked “UDOT Approved” plans along with any further information obtained.
- Certified Traffic Control Plans
- Certificate of liability insurance
- $1 Million per occurrence and $2 Million in aggregate with UDOT listed as the certificate holder (see below):
Utah Department of Transportation
4501 S 2700 W
PO Box 148460
Salt Lake City, UT 84114
- Performance and Warranty Bonds:
- Storm Water Plan
- Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Compliance Plan – Use when less than 1 acre of disturbance.
- Storm Water Pollution Protection Plan (SWPPP) – Use when 1 acre or more of disturbance.