Special Event Permits
Special Event Permits are for activities such as parades, races, or media recordings.
*Create a UDOT Permit account (“New User”) if you do not already have an account.
What administrative rule governs special event permits?
The Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT) recognizes that special events may desire to use public roadways. Administrative Rule R920-4 establishes standards that balance the safe use of roadways for events with the need to preserve smooth flow of traffic on the state highway system in terms of safety, capacity, and speed.
When is a special event permit required?
Special Event permits are required whenever an event such as parades, bicycle events, walks, marches/free speech events, marathons, or film-related activity desires to be within the Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT) right-of-way.
Statewide Permit Interactive Map
How much does a special event permit cost?
What is the special event permit process?
- Submit a completed application request for a Special Event Permit.
- Pay the non-refundable review fee(s).
- UDOT will request any missing documents if applicable.
- UDOT will issue the permit after all documents are acquired.
What documents and forms do I need?
- Map of the route proposed in PDF format
- Provide certified Traffic Control Plans
- Provide the contact information of any police department(s) if any being used
- Provide a letter of acknowledgement from all local jurisdictions (city/county) passing into by the event
- Provide a certificate of liability insurance
- $1 Million per occurrence and $3 Million in aggregate with UDOT listed as the certificate holder (see below):
Utah Department of Transportation
4501 S 2700 W
PO Box 148460
Salt Lake City, UT 84114
- Application Form – Required for all applications.
- Release of Liability Agreement – Required for all applications except first amendment assembly/free speech events.
- Participant Waiver Form – Required for all applicants and participants of the event except first amendment assembly/free speech events
- Applicant must retain all completed forms for a period of 12 months after the event and produce all copies for review if requested by the Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT).