Statewide Innovation Program
UDOT Innovation Catalog
The UDOT Innovation Catalog features innovations created or adopted by UDOT.
You can also view UDOT’s live Innovation Efficiencies Report, Impact Dashboard, Award Winners, and Maintenance Innovations by clicking on the links along the top of the catalog.
2024 Innovation and Efficiencies Report
What is Innovation at UDOT?
This three minute video will get you started!
About the Innovation Program | Contact Information
UDOT’s Statewide Innovation Program is led through the Research and Innovation Division via UDOT’s larger Technology and Innovation Group. At UDOT, innovation efforts are an essential part of everyone’s job. Many employees are hired and promoted based, in no small part, on their ability to influence innovative outcomes. This page is dedicated to continuing UDOT’s proud tradition of being a world-class leader in the transportation innovations space. Please review this content to learn more about how UDOT continues to invest in a better tomorrow, and how you can accelerate these efforts by actively participating today!
Program ManagementWinston Inoway
Innovation and Implementation Program Manager
Innovation and Implementation Program Coordinator
UDOT Innovation ProcessClick the blueprint for an overview of UDOT’s innovation process.
UDOT Innovation Station Videos
What is innovation at UDOT?This three minute video will get you started!
Get inspired with these brief innovation example videos!
Innovation Award Winners
2023 Innovation Awards
Innovation of the Year Winner
- Snowplow Signal Preemption Using Vehicle-To-Everything (V2X) Technology
- Using AI & Computer Vision Tools to Enhance Parcel Detection from Right of Way Plan Sheets
- Thermal Imaging Data Analysis Tool Helps Advance Asphalt Performance Assurance
Spark Award for Inventive Innovation Winner
- Highly Modified Hot Mix Asphalt on Bridge Decks Promises Longevity
- “Sign Post Erector” Improve Safety for Sign Repair
- New Innovation Catalog Built In-house with Google Looker Studio
Enhance Award for Adaptive Innovation
- In-House NAPA Auto Parts Store Saves Time and Improves Work
- Quarry Noise Modeling Software Extends Mining Season
- Transportation Performance Management Creates Group Performance Index
Flow Award for Process Innovation
- UDOT Emergency Accountability Form Helps Track Employee Status After an Emergency
- Weekly Safety/Toolbox Meeting Application Increases Crew Safety
- New Damage Claims Intake Portal Improves Claims Process and Customer Experience
- Unassigned Resident Engineer Dashboard Creates Efficiencies in Assigning Projects
2022 Innovation Awards
UDOT Innovation of the Year Award: Incident Management Team
Spark Award – Inventive Innovation of 2022: Saddle Lift Tool for Sign Repair
Enhance Award – Adaptive Innovation of 2022: Valve Body Location
Flow Award for Innovative Process of 2022: ROW Water Rights Tracking System
Annual Innovation and Efficiencies Reports (current and previous)
2024 Innovation and Efficiencies Report
Previous Year Reports
- 2023 Innovation and Efficiencies Report (Highlights Version)
- 2022 Innovation and Efficiencies Report
- 2021 Innovation and Efficiencies Report*
- 2019 Innovation and Efficiencies Report
- 2018 Innovation and Efficiencies Report
- 2017 Innovation and Efficiencies Report
- 2016 Innovation and Efficiencies Report
- 2015 Innovation and Efficiencies Report
- 2014 Innovation and Efficiencies Report
- 2013 Innovation and Efficiencies Report
- 2012 Innovation and Efficiencies Report
- 2011 Innovation and Efficiencies Report
- 2010 Innovation and Efficiencies Report
- 2009 Innovation and Efficiencies Report
- 2008 Innovation and Efficiencies Report
- 2007 Innovation and Efficiencies Report
- 2006 Innovation and Efficiencies Report
*Reports are now published towards the end of the calendar year and do not receive broad circulation until the next calendar year. As a result, reports are now labeled in the year where they receive broad circulation. The 2020 report was not skipped, rather the 2021 report covers the preceding year which is 2020.